Updated: Apr 10
The wedding date has been set and now like any large project, it’s a good idea to step back and take a look at the big picture first, then break it down to the finer details later. You certainly want to enjoy this wonderful and magical time in your life but to do that you must organize yourself.
In this blog, we will go over our proven timeline for the big day.
You’re Engaged! You certainly want to enjoy this wonderful and magical time in your life, but you know that planning your own wedding is going to be a big job! The following checklists might make it a little easier for you to keep it simple, keep it organized and keep you sane!
The 12-Month Countdown
6-12 Months Before Your Wedding
The wedding date has been set now like any large project, it’s a good idea to step back and take a look at the big picture first, then break it down to the finer details later.
The Big Picture: Who, What, Where and How:
· Decide who will pay for what, where you’ll get married and how expenses will be shared
· Talk to friends, family, bridal consultants, or wedding coordinators to get the direction you need for starting an organization system.
· For most couples, the wedding day can be a blur, so decide early on the best way to capture your special day’s cherished memories - like with a Photo Guest Book.
Once you have your organization system in place, start going down your to-do detail list. Here are a few of the critical ones:
· Call your church or synagogue for an appointment with the Officiate
· Explore pre-marriage counseling
· Decide on what size wedding you want
· Consider and decide on wedding attendants
· Start a guest list for the wedding
· Begin determining ideas/themes/color schemes for your wedding and reception
· Select a reception location and a caterer if need be
· Consider reception entertainment
· Select a florist
· Together, shop for wedding rings
· Select a wedding dress, and headpiece and schedule fittings
· Decide on the bridesmaid's dresses
4 to 6 Months Prior To the Wedding Date
As the wedding date gets closer, the to-do list will consist of finer and finer details. And because you put an organization system in place months ago, you won’t miss one!
· Check details and requirements for the marriage license
· Coordinate theme and color schemes with florist and decorator
· Decide on a gift registry and register your gift selections
· Order your invitations and other wedding stationery
· Shop for the groom’s attire and select what the men in the wedding will wear
· Select wedding ceremony readings
· Select wedding ceremony music
· Decide and order wedding favors
· Select a bakery for the cake
· Arrange and plan a honeymoon
· Review your agreements with all your vendors and service providers to insure you haven’t forgotten any details.
2-Months and Counting
· Mail out invitations
· Arrange and plan your rehearsal dinner
· Select and purchase your wedding day accessories
· Arrange attendant’s parties
· Coordinate and prepare accommodations for out-of-town guests
· Select a hairdresser and makeup artist and schedule those appointments
· Finalize those honeymoon plans
1-Month to Go!
· Last wedding dress fitting
· Final fitting for bridesmaid’s dresses
· Final fitting for men attendants
· Get a marriage license
· Have your wedding attendants’ parties
· Shop and purchase your outfit to wear when you leave the reception
· Organize the final checklist of wedding day events
· Confirm all the wedding day "accessories" are in order, i.e. rings, pillows, garter, etc.
2-Weeks Remaining! It's finalizing time.
· Finalize entertainment arrangements
· Go over and finalize music lists, and special music events, i.e. first dance, dance with parents, etc.
1-Week Before Your Big Day!
· Review your marriage license to make sure it is in order
· Prepare seating arrangements for the ceremony
· Prepare payment envelopes for Officiate, entertainment, and vendors and give them to the person who will handle that
· Confirm honeymoon reservations
· Make necessary honeymoon preparations, i.e. bank, traveler checks, etc.
· Prepare and pack for the honeymoon
· Confirm out-of-town guest accommodations and transportation
· Check in with the florist to confirm arrival time set up
· Have your wedding ceremony rehearsal letting everyone know what they will do on the wedding day
· Have and ENJOY your rehearsal dinner!
Your Wedding Day!
· Allow plenty of time for your scheduled hair and makeup appointments
· Allow at least 2 hours for dressing
· Bring the rings and marriage license
And MOST IMPORTANTLY, take a long deep breath and relax and enjoy your day!
If you liked our checklist and could find it useful for your own wedding, feel free to download it below!